Well, yesterday was pretty much a flop. I woke up in a bad mood, got in a tiff with Hannah and watched her giant tears rip into my heart. So, we didn't do much as far as lesson goes yesterday. We read books and went to some pretty cool parks. It didn't fix everything, but it did help take the edge off some of the tension. I have to gear up for reality that some days are going to be plain ole hard! And others are going to be great! Today was GREAT!!!!
Yesterday at the park
Man I love these kids. And because today went so much better I can say that I'm really, really, really, happy to homeschool them.
Fridays are going to be a day off normally. We will go to the library, go on fieldtrips, and do my grocery shopping, but no school lesson. However, since we didn't do one yesterday we did have a lesson today. Hannah even said to me, "mom, I'm really glad you're homeschooling us. This is fun". Thanks to a little prayer and devotional this morning, things were so much more smooth today. I do want to get in the habit of regular library trips, so we headed out first thing after breakfast and devotional. We came home with a bag full of books and the kids sat quietly reading/looking through their books while I got Joe ready for a nap and made lunch for everyone. It was almost too perfect.
Our lesson: Our Family Learning Tree
I'm no artist and the truth is, Hannah can really draw much better than me. We went outside and looked at trees and talked about the different parts of trees and how there are lots of trees in the scriptures, ex: Tree of Life, Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. Then we talked about the roots on a tree and how they are the strength and that's what we want for our school this year. We want our roots to go deep and have fun learning all year long. So....after we talked about the 4 r's, or ways that we will be learning this year, we decided to put it to action. Aaron caught and killed a very large spider last night and pinned it for the kids to look at this morning. They were totally enthralled. I was totally not, but we ran with it. We decided to #1Research it and discover what kind it was. (Um, it's a Hobo and we'll be spraying pronto!) #2Reason, why did Heavenly Father create spiders. Most of us are scared silly of them and some are even dangerous, so why? When I explained that spiders actually do a lot of good like eat bugs, we could see the wisdom in their small creation. #3Relate, maybe there really is a purpose and a plan for all things that are created. What might our purpose and reason be? And #4Record - scary, ugly, and oh so fascinating.
*Aaron says I'm mistaken on this being a Hobo. Phew! We are still going to spray right away!
No comments:
Post a Comment