Aaron and I are planning a trip for next spring. A trip back to memory lane of my mission in Holland. To say I'm stoked would be an understatment. Plus, to make it even better, we'll be going with my dear mission companion, Jennie and her husband. Life could not be any better. However, there are two things that could stand in our way. #1, won't be able to fork up the money (but we will and we'll do it in a way that even Dave Ramsey would be impressed!) or #2, because of terrorists and the state that Europe is in right now, we may have to stay put for our own safety. How sad is that. I can easily get discouraged thinking about life, people, the evils of this world (even if it all does seem so far away, I fear that it'll all come closer to home someday). The world is not the same place it was when I was a child and it's certainly not the same as it was when my parents were children. What does that mean for my children? Makes me sad that I have to be concerned to let them run outside and play without my supervision 24/7. Or that I have to lock my door whenever I leave somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I live in the best place on planet Earth really, but it's because of that that I try not to become too desensitized by all the goodness around me, but rather aware and cautious of the evils lurking in.
BUT....there is hope! I had a marvelous experience this morning. With all the bad in the world, and wars and rumors of wars that we hear about, there is much goodness. I found it in bounty this morning. The temple is a refuge, a safe haven, a place of peace and comfort from all the outside distractions. And while I attended this morning, I noticed just how happy everyone was inside. People smiling, saying hello, hugging loved ones, helping the elderly. It was touching. And what touched me the most was a very elderly gentleman caring for his beloved wife in her wheel chair. One did not need to know their story to know how much he deeply loves her. There was almost a spry skip in his walk as he pushed her along. My heart soared with happiness as I saw so much goodness around me. I felt HIS presence in His temple. He is good and He is loving. He gives me hope.
So although I am hoping like mad that we can take this trip come April, if for reasons beyond our control we are not able to, I am grateful knowing that He is in control of what happens and I don't need to fear the wickedness of this world.

4 comments:
Going to Holland, how exciting! I hope it works out that you get to go back, I'm sure it will be a great experience if it happens. I totally know what you mean about getting wrapped up in the evils of the world. Sometimes it really scares me for what my children will have to endure. But like you said, the one thing that always keeps me going, is my faith that I know it is all in His Hands. What happens will happen, and we leave it up to Him. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Going to the temple always makes you feel better about life. ;)
LOVE this post Melv! I can't wait to be near a temple again! I could seriously feel the feelings you described about being there. I LOVE IT!
I SO hope you get to go! I am sure it would be amazing for you guys! I am going to keep my fingers crossed for you!
I'm so stinking jealous you two are going without me. It makes me Sad :(
I totally agree with everything you said! I hope you guys get to go on your trip. Fun!
Post a Comment