Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homeschooling

So, with one week down of my homeschooling Nathan on the days he's not in preschool, it's time to evaluate how that first week went.

Each morning starts with devotional. We sing a primary song, read from the Book of Mormon, say the pledge of allegiance, look at our world map and find one of the temples, and end with family prayer. Lasts all of 5, maybe 6 minutes. Then we kiss Hannah goodbye as she heads off to school. This is a staple every day. Then, I attempt to set out Nathan's work. I use his preschool stuff for practicing his spelling. He actually seems to like it a lot. He has to write his name four times. He doesn't like doing that very much at all. There's also a puzzle game to spell his name. Win! Win! He loves puzzles and therefore loves this activity. Then we spend ample time on the couch reading books together. My favorite part, as long as Joe is sleeping and not needing me. This is tricky though, because so far, no day has been without distractions of attending to an adorable baby. Getting Nathan back on track has been a little challenging. My greatest desire is not to make this into something he dreads, so if he starts playing with Lego's or something else, I usually cave and let him play for a bit and try again later. That's exactly what today was like.
I will be adding some science experiments and artsy stuff too eventually. I need to take advantage of the cooling weather we are enjoying now and go for some nature walks. Overall, I really enjoy teaching my kids. Abigail loves to tag along with any activity we are doing and I have some fun things for her to do too while Nate and I work on his school stuff. So, for week 1 I think it's been a success!

Nathan on his first day of preschool with Mrs. Tecia. So happy to be back with her again this year.

No comments: