Hannah broke my heart tonight. She said that she wished she could be adopted. (There was a little boy in her pre-school class that was adopted and since then she been really fascinated with the idea). I asked her why and she said that she wanted to stay up as late as one of her friends gets to each night so she wanted to be adopted by her family. When I told her how much I would miss her and how much we needed her in our family, she still wanted to be apart of this other family. NOTHING I said changed her mind. So, I did the only thing I could think to do. I called this girls mother and told her that my Hannah would like to be adopted by them. She laughed, but then we decided to hopefully teach Hannah an important lesson. When I got off the phone I told Hannah that Katie would like her to come over so she could talk with her. Hannah quickly ran upstairs, grabbed her favorite stuffed animal, her blankie, and her nightgown. On her way out the door she said, "Tell Aaron that I'm going to be adopted". She had already called her father Aaron! This is where my heart began to break. I watched her run next door and I hadn't even given her a hug or told her how much I loved her. Would that have changed her mind? Probably not.
She eventually came home and we talked. I did tell her then just how much I love her and that I missed her. My friend did a good job of helping Hannah to understand how much I need her and how important she is in our own family. I have a feeling this won't be the last time that Hannah will want to run away and be adopted by another family who gets to do something more fun than she does. But then again, she did say to me that she would never ask again if she could be adopted if I would let her have the last baked potato with cheese on it. Done!
2 comments:
I wouldn't let your heart break to much!! Girls say the craziest things! It has more to do with them and their drama than anything else. Hannah has the best mom out there!
I think all kids go through a phase where they look with envy on other families and wish they could swap it out for their own. I know I did. The funny thing is that when it came down to it, I was of course happy and relieved and blessed to get to come home to my own family. It's just a phase. She'll get over it and eventually realize how good she's got it. I wouldn't take it too seriously.
Post a Comment