Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I have a dream....

I'm not usually a dreamer. I married a dreamer and his dreams are exciting enough for both of us for sure! However, I do have a dream. A part of that dream was fulfilled yesterday when I went to the American Heritage Private school in American Fork to pick up the new curriculum I just bought to home school my kids. Yet again, I recently had another one of those profound moments where I just know this is the path I'm supposed to take for our family. This journey to get where I am today is interesting to me. A year and a half ago I read a book that profoundly changed my way of thinking. The book, "A Thomas Jefferson Education" was so inspiring to me and rang true to my very core. This was the first time the thought of homeschooling was planted. I should note, I've NEVER wanted to home school before this book and I carried a lot of the same concerns or judgements as many do of those who home school. But a paradigm shift was taking place. And has been ever since. I've been in touch with, talked with, seen so many families who have taken the home school path. They have helped to give me the confidence to take the jump. I've seen that they aren't "weird" or "unsocial" and they are quite bright children and their families are incredible. My greatest concern has always been Hannah. The only way to know how she will take to this new way of learning, is to plunge in. She is social and thrives at her social time at school. I know this is a need of hers. I'm excited to network with the incredible families in this circle and for her to make friends with new kids. She's good at that.  I'm THRILLED for the opportunities to be involved with American Heritage School and secretly hope to be able to send my kids there in the future. (If anyone wants to donate $20,000/year to send my kids there, we'd gladly accept :o). But the most exciting thing to me about this, is how much I will learn as well. I feel like a giddy little school girl, I'm so excited! and nervous! and a little scared! This quote has given me some confidence though.

“Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide on, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So there's my dream. In part, coming true. And since today is the new year, this is also one of my greatest resolutions. I am not naive enough to know there will be plenty of hard days. Just last night I was dealing with children like this:
In their defense, it was almost midnight. Tired kids = grumpy kids!

So Happy, Happy New Year! May it be as wonderful as I hope!

No comments: