I belong to a group called, "The Power of Moms". We meet once a month and discuss an article relating to motherhood. February's article was entitled, "The Power of Love". Every read is fantastic and helpful for me on this journey of motherhood. I come away feeling rejuvenated, inspired, and committed to this most important job of raising my children.
I am not a real affectionate person by nature. It does seem to be easier to be affectionate to my small children, but as they grow I can see it's easier for me not to hug and kiss them like I did when they were born. Hannah is super affectionate. She reminds me often that she needs to be hugged, loved, kissed, and cuddled. I feel bad that I have to be reminded.
Nathan is more like me. He rarely seeks for affection. Is this because he's a boy? or is he really more like me in this regard? Maybe both.
Abigail is the epitome of affection. She cuddles, hugs, kisses, loves on, and constantly seeks affection, just like her older sister.
So, back to the article. There was a section about loving through poor/bad behavior. This is hard stuff for me to do! The stern, proud, adult self in me wants them to obey immediately. Loving through tantrums is so much easier said than done.
The last few days my child #2 and I have not been jiving. His tantrums and bullying have put me over the top and my reactions have been less than loving. And guess what? his behavior has been worse and worse. So......after reading this article and hearing what the other mothers had to share last night in our discussion, I recommitted to just loving this boy of mine. Tantrums, fits, bullying and all. I was determined that whatever he wanted from me today, if I was able to, I was going to give it to him. When he asked me to play cars with him after breakfast, I happily agreed. When he wanted me to read to him right now, I did it. And when he asked if I would play with him out in the snow today, I reluctantly said I would. No one can be surprised that he's been a pretty great little boy today. He's been more kind to his sisters. He's back to using his kind words to me. And his eyes have lit up every time I've agreed to do what he's asked of me. So, he may not want all the hugs and kisses all the time from me, but he certainly needs to feel love in other forms.
A very tight squeeze to get in these puppies.
I hope to be better at showing all my children love in all the forms they need. I hope I remember to just love them when they seem to be acting out or showing defiance. I hope I will remember that me getting upset with them makes everything 100x's worse. I know there is a great power in love. Far greater than a power struggle.
No comments:
Post a Comment