Wed. Sept 15, Nathan wasn't being his charming sweet self...oh wait, that's normal...but he really wasn't behaving "normally". He'd been waking up a lot during the nights. I thought he might be having nightmares. We had to nip this in the bud, so Wednesday night, we did not go into him. It was a horrible night. Enough said. Thursday morning....we had our little joy school field trip. Nathan was clingy, I knew he would be, so I held him most of the time. He was exhausted. He did not feel well, I could tell. When we got home I put Abigail down for a nap, Hannah went to a friends, and I attempted to put Nathan down for a nap. I really did not think he would fight it. But oh was I wrong! He screamed, cried, complained about his tummy hurting and had been complaining about his tummy for two days! I called the doctor, got an appointment and took him right in. Of course, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him. "There is something wrong!" I protested, but their answer was to "try" him on a prescription for acid reflex. No thanks! This was something more. I just knew it. So I went home and started journaling everything Nathan was eating to see if it could be diet related. Made much more sense to me than acid reflex. Night #2....still not sleeping. This time we went into him everytime he cried. Which was on the hour every hour throughout the night. He was doubled over in pain, screaming. We tried to calm him down as best we knew how. I went to the store and bought him anti-gas medicine and laxatives realizing that he wasn't have his regular bowel movements.....and he is one regular kid if you know what I mean. So, we noticed a little relief, but he still was complaining of his tummy hurting. This went on for 2 more days until Sunday night we couldn't take the screaming any more. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Aaron said he was taking him into the ER. We. Needed. Answers!
Poor kid was exhausted after 4+ days of no sleep. You can see in his little arm a small IV. He zonked out in his daddy's armpit. Must have been tired! (just kidding babe)
We are happy to report that the x-rays showed that Nathan is constipated. What!?! Do you know how much fiber we eat in this house? Really, I was very surprised, but grateful that it wasn't anything more serious. Now, almost a week later he's back to his mischievious, (dare I say it) naughty little self. :o) And I couldn't be happier! We are still watching his diet for anything that may trigger this to happen again. Ugh! pray that it doesn't please.


5 comments:
I am so glad he is doing better!! And I am grateful for you that it wasn't something worse. Hope you are sleeping like a baby now!!!
It's the worse thing ever to have your baby hurting and not know what to do about it! Hope things are better now!
Poor little Daniel Boy!
So glad that everything turned out ok. It can be so frustrating to a parent when the Dr. tells you it is nothing. Uggg. Sometimes a Mother just knows a little more. ;)
Ok, you MUST buy Miralax! Dawson and Mallory always had problems. The doctor said it is the BEST option. It is not a painful cramping laxative and it is non-habit forming. It is a powder you stir into a drink and VIOLA! It lubes everything out and they are free from their "problems" ;) in a day!
AND it is totally safe! I mean, Dawsons doctor was extrememly conservative, but totally recommended this! Even when he was just home from the hospital!
I'm glad the poor little stinker is feeling better! And glad you are getting some sleep!
Post a Comment