Monday, August 17, 2009
One Amazing Race
Roughly 40 crazy people swam in an open water race last Saturday at Deer Creek. Aaron was one of those crazy guys. He has been training for this since June. There were 4 different competitions: a 1 mile swim, 5k swim, 10k swim, and a 10 mile swim. Aaron did the 5k swim. That's 3.1 miles people! He swam it in 1 hour and 35 minutes. Wowzers! Now, as a side note, Utah has had some CRAZY weather lately and his race day was no exception. It was an overcast, cold, wet, rainy day. The wind picked up, so the water was choppy, making it ever so easy to glide through the waves. :o) The race committee took all the necessary precautions to ensure that this was a safe swim however. Each swimmer had to have a kayaker (thank you Bryce Johnson) and there were at least 3 boat rangers on the water for any emergency, should there be one. Once Aaron finished the race, not 10 minutes later, it down poured and the thunder and lightening moved in. The race was called at that point and they pulled the remaining swimmers out. There were several disappointed competitors. Aaron's boss was actually competing for the 10 mile race, so he was very bummed to say the least. Last year he competed and finished the 10 mile race in just under 5 hours. I can't even fathom being in water for 5 hours let alone swimming for that long. Anyway, it was super fun to watch, (from inside our car since we were freezing!), but more than anything we were so proud of Aaron's great accomplishment. Way to go!!!!
Aaron's little fan club
Seconds before the gun went off
His fearless kayaker- Bryce Johnson
Aaron is the furthest one away in the yellow cap.
Being goofy
On his stretch back to the finish line.
Coming in hard
Finished!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You are a brave wife! I am afraid I would have protested that!
HORRAY FOR ARRON :) he's da man :)
Wow that is amazing. That is something I want to do... sounds fun. Good Job Arron!
Why did that swimmers cap picture give me the giggles?! There is something funny about it, but I just can't figure out what it is! :)
That is amazing Aaron! Good job! I could be in the water forever...just the swimming part would be difficult! I am glad you got to finish before they had to drag you out too!
Melissa...would you please kindly move to my neighborhood? I think we would have too much fun together!
Wow, I am impressed! That scares me just thinking about it!
Post a Comment