Monday, June 21, 2010

An Experience of a Lifetime!

I've been thinking of this post for many, many months now. Back in January a few of my sisters and I decided to run in the Ragnar Wasatch Back. This is a 12 person relay race from Logan, Utah to Park City, Utah. A total of 188.2 miles. We even got Aaron motivated to doing it, but he chose to participate on an all guys team that consisted of Ivory employees where he works. Both Aaron and I spent the last 6 months training. Neither of us enjoy running, or atleast not to begin with. I knew that I needed to choose a leg that was on the easier side. My legs were the following distances. First leg, 6.7 miles hard. Second leg, 3.0 miles easy, and my last leg was 3.3 miles easy. Aaron had much MUCH more difficult legs than I did. His were 3.6 miles easy, 7.7 miles hard, and his last was 4.0 miles very hard, straight up a mountain. It was a frighful sight to behold his last leg. And I mean frightful.

I can hardly describe this experience. First of all, we had four people out of the twelve on our team who could no longer participate for one reason or another. Two of those 4 were two of my sisters. Nikki and Carlee would have loved this experience and it would surely have been fun with them. Our team was not well aquainted before this race. There were 2 vans, with six people to a van. I was in van #1. Jewelee was runner #1. She is a "Farmers wife" from Malta, Idaho. Ever heard of Malta? Probably not. She is HILARIOUS! I could write a post completely about her and noone would get bored. She was sooo much fun! She ran a total of 21 miles and kicked bootie! She was awesome and the life of our party/van. I was number 2 and ran a total of 13 miles. Carol was next, and she is nothing short of a female rambo! She's 53 years old, marathon runner, and this was her 4th time running the Wasatch Back. Her total distances ran, was 18 miles. She was the mother hen of our car and we LOVED her! Susan was next. Oh, I could go on and on about how proud I am of Suz. I've trained for challenging races previously, but this was Susan's first "real" challenging race. She did AMAZING!!! It was an emotional experience for both of us, but especially her. She ran a total of 13.1 miles. Brooke was runner #5 and she was my first college roommate more than 12 years ago and we hadn't seen eachother since then. It was a fun fun fun reunion. She too is from Malta, Idaho. I loved how when Brooke was running, she got in the zone and was so. dang. serious! It was hilarious. She had some of our harder runs and ran a total of 12.3 miles. Her sister was our last runner in our van. She was just like Brooke. In the zone the whole time she ran. Her hardest and longest leg was into the night. It was grueling and she had blisters on her feet from her first run. When she was done, she really looked dilirious. Brooke was always concerned for SaBrenna and at one point said she wished she could just run the leg for her.

It may seem silly to be so passionant about this experience, but it was life changing. It was so much more than a race. There were incredible "life" lessons learned along the way. Friendships that run so deep now after only two days of being with eachother. Running along the country roads of towns I had no idea existed, and the beauty of this state that I had never seen before. The town people would come sit out on their lawns and spray us runners with water to cool us off, or offer cups of water to drink. People everywhere cheering and offering support in anyway they could. We got little to no sleep for almost two full days, but somehow the energy of the experience kept us going. It was the first time I have ever thrown a sleeping bag on the ground and slept out under the stars, in the mountains. It was amazing! and I didn't really sleep, but it didn't matter. I couldn't stop the tears at times. I felt so grateful to be having this experience; with my sister. And now we are home. The race is finished. The training paid off. My knees are shot, my legs ache, and I may really never be able to run in something like this again. I hope that isn't the case. I miss my Idaho friends. I miss our "mother hen". I miss the race. It was a wonderful experience. An Experience of a Lifetime!

We decorated our van with everyone's name on it and our team name "Team SheRuns"


I just finished my first of three legs. I was happy. It was my hardest and longest of the three.

Suz and I minutes before her first run.

Rambo Carol coming into pass the slap bracelet to Susan. She was amazing!

Way to go Suz!

Potty's next to the horse. Not sure which smelled worse.

SaBrenna's blister. She got the worst blisters of us all.

Catching some zzzz's

We were tired. To say the least.

The white specks are runners at night. SaBrenna was one of them. Their head lamps and reflector vests saved their lives. Literally!

Brooke, SaBrenna, and Jewelee. Our 3 a.m wake up call to head to our next destination. I'm so bummed I didn't get a shot of us sleeping out on the ground.

My last leg to run. My knees were really bad by now.

Brooke walking me back to the van. I was crippled. :o)

Susie on her "plumet" into Heber Valley.

Just after Susan finished her last leg.

Carol and Jewelee

The six of us in Van #1. Jewlee is in the garbage....so Jewelee.

Suz and I arm in arm to the finish line.

Our team of 12 running into the finish.

Our team sporting the medals we EARNED!


Aaron equally had an amazing experience. We haven't been able to stop talking about it since we finished. Here are a few pictures I got of him and his team.



Us at the finish line. YaHoo!!!

5 comments:

Cali and Travis said...

My only regrets were that we didn't get to spend much time together as a team after the race. Oh well, maybe next year!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

GOOD JOB MELISSA! You inspire me...REALLY! I totally wanted to do Wasatch Back. My little sister did it. She had the super hard hill climb. They put her on it because she is the type of person that would crawl it on her hands if she broke her legs in the process. She is stubborn and strong willed as all get out! I need some of that from her! :)

We were totally going to do the Red Rock Relay. I hate to admit that I have wimped out. Lame, right?! With the way this year has gone and with my current funk...well, I am a bit of a mess!

However, you TOTALLY inspired me! Maybe I will beg for the easiest leg and get moving! Hmmm....

I love you sweet Melissa! You totally make me laugh! Perhaps if you lived closer to me you would really feel MUCH better about yourself! HA! I am a turkey! I am sure one of these days the greiving will slow down and I will get back to my norm. Oh I hope it is tomorrow! :)

I will talk to Ry about Lagoon. Let's work for like late summerish. Want to?!

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

oh my gosh!... I'm exhausted just thinking about running that! You're amazing! LOVE your new family picture at the top of the blog!! CUTE CUTE!!

Jill T said...

Way to go Melissa! Your description of everything is inspiring. I like how you and your sister finished the race arm in arm. I hope your knees heal up quickly!

Amanda Bowen said...

So impressed with all of you who ran in the Ragnar! What an amazing accomplishment. I was worried about your knee problems but it looked like you survived. Congrats!