I went to Dawson's funeral last Saturday. I did a fair share of crying. My heart ached for his sweet parents and for his brother and sister, whom he left behind. Then I continued to cry as I thought of my own children. How would I work through losing one of my own? Would I, could I, be as strong as Amy and Ryan? Is my faith strong enough to endure what they've gone through and what they continue to go through? There is no anger in them. There is no questioning, "why"? There is complete trust and understanding of a deeply loving Heavenly Father, with a plan. A plan that includes all of us on this earth; who've ever lived on this earth or will ever live on this earth. I was amazed at Ryan and Amy's incredible strength. Not to say they didn't cry. They did. They sobbed. Their hearts are aching. But they both bore testimony of the reality of the Savior as strong as any testimony of Him I've heard before. They KNOW they will be with Dawson again. They know there family is eternal. Because of this knowledge peace has entered and strength has moved in.
So, I've spent some time reflecting, pondering if you will, even questioning. I've turned to the scriptures. Peace has come to me and a witness reborn that God loves us. He knows us, even if we don't know Him. He does indeed have a plan. We are His children. He cries when we cry. He smiles when we smile. He aches when we ache. He wants us to be happy, just as we want that for our children. Things happen for a reason. Dawson's life was full of purpose. One could easily question why. Why would God allow such a sweet and innocent child come to this earth so early from his mother's womb? HAve to endure pain that most of us never will have to experience? This one little child touched thousands of people. Some who didn't even know Ryan and Amy. I'm guessing that he helped many find their way back to Heavenly FAther. HIs life was not in vain. There is a purpose for everything that happens.
The last several days I've hugged my kids a little longer. I've said I love you whole bunch more. I've been more patient. I've tried to see them for who their incredible spirits really are. Amy said it best when she said, "What is stopping you from believing that ALL children carry within them something amazing. Something sacred. Something pure and Christlike. Something WE are supposed to learn FROM THEM?"
There is so much to learn from children. I've always known that, but I am living it now. My three are eternally connected to me and that brings incredible joy.
Another thing that really has made me think, is I was sitting next to Aaron at this funeral, hand in hand. THankful beyond words that he was sitting next to me. That he knows and understands all of these things to be true just as I do. We are eternal companions. There was a time that someone important to me didn't share the same standards as I and didn't believe what I know to be true. Although there was heartache for us both when we went our seperate ways, there is happiness beyond what I could have imagined being sealed to a man that looks at our children with the same understanding of who they are and what we as a family are capable of having.
So thanks be to a little man who's changed us now and forever. His life was beautiful and a gift from our loving Father in Heaven. Click here to read Dawson's story.
7 comments:
Oh, Melissa. I'm so sorry for the loss your friends have suffered. We have been through similar circumstance with friends in the past few years and it does make you realize how precious your children are. I can absolutely relate to your feelings. Lots of hugs!
Melv! Can you possibly know how many times Ryan and I have expressed our love for your over the last few days?!
We both love you! SO SO MUCH! I look up to you so much! You are amazing! From the first minute I met you I wanted to be you!
If there is any one thing that pulls us the hardest towards Utah, it would be you my friend! HONESTLY! TRULY!
Thanks so much for sharing your feelings about our Little D. He is missed, but daily we receive word...or words from people that have been touched by his sacrifice. He did so good! I told him that probably each minute of his last 8 hours!
It is an absolute blessing to KNOW...really we KNOW that we will be with him again! How great is the Gospel?!
We so love you my dear friend! We are looking forward to planning a fun trip to Utah that includes plenty of fun with you! :)
Wow, thanks for sharing that! It opens everyones eyes, and helps me remember how grateful I am for my little family too! I pray for your friends and their little family!
Thank you. That's all I can say through my tears. Thank you.
What a sad story, but sweet life indeed. It is so hard to comprehend the loss of babies and children and certainly no parent can ever fathom the thought unless they are faced with it.
It truly does make us appreciate our children so much more though and the Gospel guiding our lives. What a sweet face on him!
Melissa,
I stayed up last night until 12:30am reading Amy Lindstroms blog. Then I read your sweet comment. It made me cry. It made me really think and ponder on the same things you commented on. I too feel very blessed to have the gospel and the knowledge of the eternities. I LOVE my family more than I can express. I feel so blessed to be a mother and wife in these days. What a blessing. What a responsibility. What an honor. I love the Lord. I love our dear parents. I love you.
Thanks so much for being...you.
It is amazing what some people deal with.
Post a Comment